This is a starting point on my new approach to working.
Last month I resigned form Oakton to essentially do nothing. I did that for entirely personal reasons that I will not go into for the moment. What is important is that I have a renewed desire for doing high value consulting work where I can help others make a significant difference.
Here are the things I will focus on:
- Strategy design and implementation. Working with people to understand organisational purpose, values and what matters most. Establishing what needs to be done to achieve what is wanted. Then gaining agreement as to how to achieve it all.
- Business Transformation. Working with organisations who see the need to change what they do and how they do it.
- Program design and delivery. Designing larger scale initiatives intended to achieve agreed outcomes and objectives. Navigating the uncertainties when you have to take the first steps before you know what the third and subsequent step will look like.
- Service improvement. Working with people to rethink how business services should best be delivered.
- Business change. Usually embedded in Business Transformation and Program design, providing a focus on the organisation-level people, process and systems changes that need to be undertaken.
- Operational performance. Working out what needs to be measured and monitored in order to keep operations aligned with changing business priorities and purpose.
Because this is a change from what I have been doing in the past few years I will also be doing a few things to build relationships with other organisations:
- Offer services through other companies where I know and trust those companies
- Offer independent consultancy advice to clients directly where this makes sense
- Build (once again) a solid personal reputation for delivering value
- Make a difference to people’s lives